‘I feel incredibly privileged to be involved with the SaberCats and part of this the leading edge of Rugby in both Houston and the United States at this time. Major League Rugby and the Houston SaberCats are literally making sporting history on a week to week basis, bringing professional Rugby to this great city and around North American. To be part of this and to lead this talent group of Men that proudly wear the Black and Yellow of the SaberCats is a total privilege for me.
As a player I was lucky enough to be part of the game of Rugby when it went professional in Europe and know personally how very special and exciting that time was. Now to be able to be part of this great organization, in this great city, bringing the sport I love to a new audience and working though all the challenges that presents, is indeed a blessing and a role I take incredibly seriously. Go Cats Go’.
- Dungannon Director of Rugby / Head Coach 2010-2013 (Ulster Senior Winners 2011-2012, Ulster Senior Cup Winners 2011, All Ireland Bateman Cup Finalists 2011
- Pakistan Head Coach 2010 Asian 5 Nations
- Irish Women’s assistant coach 2011-2013
- USA Collegiate All Americans Assistant Coach 2013 (NZ Test Series Winners)
- USA Eagles Assistant Coach 2013-2015 (Can Am Winners 2014-2015, Pershing Cup Winners 2014, ARC Runners Up 2013-2014, Qualified for RWC2015)
- Seattle Saracens Director of Rugby / Head Coach 2013-2017 (USAR Div1 Finalists 2013, BCRU Div1 Finalists 2014, BCRU Div1 Champions 2015, VRU Mainland Cup Winners 2015, Legends Cup Winners 2016, Washington State
- Challenge Champions 2016)
- Playing Career
- London Irish 1994-1998
- Ulster 1998-2003 (European Cup Winner 1999)
- Castres Olympique 2003-2005 (French Cup Winner 2003)
- Ulster 2005-2010 (Celtic League Winner 2006, Most capped forward on retirement, European Rugby Cup Elite Award Winner, All Ireland Div 2 winner 1999, All Ireland Div1 Winner 2001)
- Ireland (26 Caps, RWC1999)
Brian Colona is new to Rugby with the SaberCats’ first exhibition match at Constellation Field being his first exposure to the sport. Colona graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago and spent his entire career in the oil and gas business across the U.S. with Chevron and Vitol in various technical, managerial and commercial roles. After thinking he had retired at the end of 2012, Colona was back at work in early 2013 as the construction manager on a project building Vitol’s new trading offices in Houston and then into his new role as President of the SaberCats where he is leading the effort on the construction of AVEVA Stadium and overseeing the various functions of the business. He’s had the good sense to leave the day-to-day team/player decisions to an able group of Rugby experts; Head Coach Justin Fitzpatrick and Team / League Co-Founders, Jeremy Turner and Marty Power. Brian is thrilled to be a part of bringing Rugby to the City of Houston and hopes see you at AVEVA Stadium in the 2019 season. GO CATS !!!
Team and League Affairs
Jeremy Turner manages all corporate operations. Jeremy began playing Rugby at age eight. He has played, coached, and refereed Rugby ever since. Before taking on his role with the Houston SaberCats, Jeremy was president for over 20 years at Jetlease Inc, an operating lessor of airline aircraft. He is the author of the “Complete Referee” a guide to Rugby refereeing.
Marty has spent over 35 Years in Houston energy supply and trading sector. He served as Chief Commerical Officer of CVR Energy in Sugar Land, Texas. Marty captained the 1977 Nichols Football team and was a four time All-Conference selections. He played played Rugby for 7 years in Houston and co-founded the Houston Youth Rugby Association.
Patrick Cox came to the Houston SaberCats with a strong accounting background together with hands on experience of national level media marketing. He heads up our financial functions as well as directing all our marketing and sales.
Marketing and Sponsorships
Myndi Luevano manages all marketing, as well as all corporate sponsorships. Myndi works with sponsors to source partnerships and is responsible for sponsor fulfillment. She also oversees all game-day promotions as well as hospitality, and any other marketing duties that arise. Myndi Luevano comes to the Sabercats with a strong background in marketing and sales. She has spent the last ten years working in the college and professional sports background.
Director of Team & Stadium Operations
Trey Preston is beginning his second season as Director of Team Operations and first as Stadium Operations with the Houston SaberCats. Preston played college basketball and received his Bachelors Degree in Business Management at Texas Lutheran University and his Master’s Degree in Sports Management at NOVA Southeastern University in 2003. He previously served as an assistant basketball coach at his Alma Mater (TLU), then at University of the Incarnate Word and lastly at the University of Houston.